Alcohol, Tobacco, Marijuana
& Other Drug Prevention
Vista Community Clinic works throughout the North San Diego County region to create healthy environments and reduce the harmful effects of secondhand smoke, the availability of alcohol and tobacco to minors, and the negative impacts of drugs in our communities.
Some of our successes include:
- Smoke-free parks and beaches in the cities of Carlsbad, Oceanside, Vista, San Marcos and Escondido.
- Smoke-free entertainment venues of Legoland and San Diego Zoo Safari Park.
- Smoke-free North County Transit District.
- Smoke-free multi-unit housing throughout the north region of San Diego County.
- Tobacco retail licensure policy in the City of Vista to reduce tobacco sales to minors.
- Social host ordinances adopted in all cities in San Diego County to help prevent underage drinking at house parties.
- Supporting the City of Vista’s ordinance requiring responsible alcohol sales and service training for all employees who sell or serve alcohol, and assisting in providing training opportunities.
- Annual 420 Remix event – A Celebration of Sober and Drug-Free Life Choices to counter the pro-marijuana messages on April 20 each year.
Youth Development through Prevention and Advocacy:
- Youth coalition meetings to build leadership and advocacy skills.
- All youth are committed to living drug- and alcohol-free lives.
- Youth engage in public policy promotion.
- Opportunities to attend leadership camps and conferences.
"I learned so much, and I plan to take all this knowledge back to my community and continue to make a difference. It's important for teens to get involved in positive activities – we really do have the power to make change!"
- NCPYC member Coral Varona, upon returning from CADCA’s National Leadership Forum in Washington DC, February 2011
Since 1998, Vista Community Clinic has served as the fiscal agent for the North Coastal Prevention Coalition (NCPC) grants and contracts. The mission of NCPC is to reduce the harm of alcohol, tobacco, marijuana and other drugs through community action, education, support and collaboration. In 2008, NCPC was recognized as the Got Outcomes! Coalition of Excellence by Community Anti-Drug Coalitions of America (CADCA). For more information, visit www.northcoastalpreventioncoalition.org.
For information about alcohol and drug related prevention programs, please call Erica Leary at 760-631-5000 x7150.
- Smoke-free multi-unit housing, H.E.A.T. (Healthy Environments Against Tobacco) Project educates the community and implements smoke-free policies in multi-unit housing complexes, such as apartments, condos and town homes.
- Smoke-free outdoor dining project supports smoke-free outdoor dining patios to reduce restaurant patron exposure to secondhand smoke.
- Reducing youth access to tobacco products project works to reduce the availability and accessibly of tobacco products to minors.
We can also provide individuals with information about cessation services.
For information about our tobacco-related programs and activities, please call Gena Knutson at 760-631-5000 x7165.