Eating Well in the New Year
The New Year is a great time to develop a plan for healthy eating. Christine Toth, VCC Registered Dietitian, has some tips to get you started.
- Drink eight glasses of water (8-fluid ounce) per day.
- Try to avoid sugary drinks and caffeinated beverages.
- Eat at least 2 ½ cups of vegetables per day, including dark green and orange vegetables.
- Make sure you choose from all food groups.
- Fish, skinless poultry and beans are great sources of lean protein.
- Choose low-fat dairy foods for adequate calcium and vitamin D.
- A fiber-rich diet will help your body achieve satiety. Try foods such as nuts, lentils, bran, and fruits and vegetables with skin.
- Get family members involved in meal preparation at home. Cooking together is a great opportunity to teach children about healthy eating.
- Pack healthy snacks ahead of time, and take snack breaks.
- Start a journal, keep note of your successes and repeat healthy behaviors.
Wishing you a happy and healthy 2017!